View Single Post
Old 27-Sep-2013, 12:45 PM   #5
StephanieS

Hi Badlocation,

You aren't kidding. The ridge nearby is a signal killer. Frustrating when your are reasonably close to the transmission sites, only to have geography thwart you. The bay area was and is a broadcasting nightmare due to terrain.

That said, to your question - is this a lost cause trying to get the big networks out of the bay area. The answer is you'll likely have to put something in the air and try. TV Fool while valuable for it's ballpark assessment, you may have variables working for you (or against) that it cannot account for.

Teleview got you started with a nice option. You may find that you have to up to a powerhouse antenna like a Winegard HD7698P with a preamp to have a chance, especially at the negative db signal strengths at magnetic 269. KRON and KQED are going to be the biggest challenge. Luckily, KTVU and KQEH are availible LOS at either 164 or 165 degrees. I mention KQEH specifically because, since KQED is in the extremely weak category, KQEH, according to their wiki page, their second subchannel carries KQED's main programming feed. That subchannel carrying KQED is likely not in 1080i, but it's better than nothing. That leaves only KPIX as your weakest major network affiliate and will be the one you make have to experiment with to receive being it is at -3.0 db at your location. Don't get your hopes up for KRON. You may see it, but at -6.8db chances of steady reception is extremely slim.

Predictions are really best guesses, since receiving broadcast TV is kind of a black art. Each situation is unique, and has umpteen variables. I've played around with my setup several times. I have an Antennas Direct 91XG as my beam with an RCA ANT751 as my secondary antenna. Both run separate leads and are switched in the house on an A/B switch. The ANT751 is strictly locals and a Idaho PBS translator at @ 55 miles LOS, while the 91XG is pointed at KLEW TV on RF 22 @ 56 miles, 1-edge, and 7.0 db signal strength.

I can tell you working with weak to very weak signals is tough. With a preamp, my reception of KLEW RF 22 is mostly stable, but due to being 1-edge, I get a few drop outs here and there.

I do think with a powerhouse like a Winegard HD7698P and a preamp pointed at 269 degrees magnetic, you will see KNTV (NBC) and KGO (ABC). KTVU (FOX) will serve you from 164 degrees magnetic. KQEH will serve you KQED's main feed also from 164 degrees magnetic. KPIX (CBS) at -3.0 is possible, but be ready to do much tweaking. KRON and KQED are in the very slim category.

Good luck and remember, this isn't an exact science. You may have to change strategies once or twice (and antennas). Or, decide to have a high gain antenna pointed at your weakest signals, while having a smaller separate antenna pointed at your easier catches with an A/B switch in the house.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote