Thread: Tuner woes.....
View Single Post
Old 23-May-2017, 9:48 PM   #1
OberGeiss

Tuner woes.....

Hi All, I am in 07083, with a nice high YAGI rig feeding three sets, distribution amp, no worries. I'm about 16 miles from Manhattan as the crow flies so many options OTA.

Strange thing happened about a week ago.
I have two circa 2009 LG LCD HDTVs and I lost PBS (WNET 13.1) on both sets.
It's not cabling. All other channels unaffected.
I can pull in 13.2 on both but 13.1 is just plain black, no signal on both LG sets.

Funny thing is that I can pull in 13.1 on basement mounted Dynex (older yet) both through its internal OTA tuner and external Dish Network converter. When I say pull, I mean rock solid.

I have hooked the DN converter to one of the LGs for the moment but the picture quality and aspect ratio are wonky. Not a long term solution at least with this older external tuner/converter.

In the interim I have ordered a new TCL ROKU HDTV and I'll be able to return no worries if it does not perform.

Not much available in terms of tuner performance data and I always felt that LG's tuners worked rather well but now not so sure. They also fail to consistently pull in 21.1, 21.2 and 21.3 (WLIW) while the external Dish Network converter pulls all of them in rather well w/o breakup/pixellation.

So on what brand, circa 2017, do I plunk my hard earned cash on for quality LCD HDTV with best tuners going?

Many thanks, David

Last edited by OberGeiss; 23-May-2017 at 9:51 PM.
OberGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote