View Single Post
Old 22-Feb-2013, 3:42 PM   #1
bailee

Antenna Choice, Exisiting Cables, Grounding Wire

I presently have cable, internet and land line phone. Am trying to get an alternate plan in place in case I loose my job. In that scenario, I would want to drop cable tv, keep the internet and possibly the land line phone.

I plan to use the instructions given elsewhere on this site, that describes connecting the antenna to the existing cable wiring/ports. I will NOT do this until deactivating the cable tv. I understand the ports to the TVs have to be connected to the antenna and that the incoming line has to be attached to the internet and landline ports. Since my situation is slightly different than the other (he didn’t have landline phone), do I connect a splitter in the cable box.. incoming line splitting to internet and land line ports? (I don’t have a tool to access the cable box yet…so don’t have a clear picture of what is connected to what presently.) (1) If so, what kind of splitter or part do I need to get? I may be worrying about nothing as I suppose the cable company may come out to do that when I say that I am dropping cable?

Secondly, here is my reception report. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...1ddae1d4354214

I have 5 TVs, but rarely using more than 2 at a time. I live in a HOA neighborhood and our Oklahoma weather is often windy. I was thinking of installing in the attic: the RCA ant751R, with rca tvpramp1r, using media bridge coaxial digital audio video cable, and some cable clips.

I think the cables are presently attached to a booster in the attic, not sure if that is for the TV or the internet. There are big circular “aluminum covered” ducts hanging from the rafters, but I don’t think there are any obstructing the northward antenna direction.

2. If it’s questionable, I would rather get the “extra.” Do you think I need the amp or a different one?

3. I don’t want to install on the roof/or outside unless it is absolutely necessary and the antenna is no bigger than a small satellite dish. Is the RCA 751r in the attic appropriate for my situation? Or a different one?

4. It looks to me like there is a grounding wire coming out of the exterior cable box. Not having access to the cable box at this writing, would that be appropriate for grounding the antenna, or would it likely only apply for incoming line connected to internet and land line ports? Would I still need to run additional grounding wire for antenna?

5. Do you have other suggestions/parts that I need to buy in order to complete the task?

Thanks in advance for your time. Sorry for the length.
bailee is offline   Reply With Quote