View Single Post
Old 10-Sep-2014, 1:08 AM   #1
MTrooper

Looking for help to cut the cord

Hello everyone,

I'd like to be able to ditch the dish and setup a OTA rig with a DVR for the big 4 networks. I'm really only interested in receiving NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX, anything else would be a bonus.

Here is the radar map for my house @ 25 ft. Taking it up to 40 ft bumps channel 50 up to 3.4 db.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d243ceca68cfa2

We do have trees around the house. They are probably 40-50 ft tall and 75ft from antenna location to the East/West. 200ft from antenna to the North/South.

If I'm reading this correctly it would look like I'd need a DB8E (Or similar) with a separate Yagi for the H. VHF and some sort of Combiner/Preamp. We live in an HOA community. Although there are no rules prohibiting antennas, out of respect for the neighbor hood I would like to keep the antenna sizes to a minimum. (IE.. could the 10' Yagi work in my attic? Roughly 20' height)

We have a total of 7 TVs in the house that I would like to have OTA/DVR available at each location. Each TV location has an RG6 coax ran to the utility room in the basement. Antenna -> utility room run about 70'. TV runs very anywhere from 10' to 50'. Currently I'm considering a 4 tuner Tablo unit hooked up to the antenna and then use the coax cables for MOCA internet and run Roku's or other Ethernet devices at the TV's for live viewing or DVR content.

Definitely open to others feedback on what they use for OTA/DVR setups. Not opposed to monthly fees, but Tivos fee structure seems out of line to me.

Let me know if I've forgotten anything. And thank you for any help you can provide.

Chris
MTrooper is offline   Reply With Quote