View Single Post
Old 31-Dec-2014, 6:08 PM   #3
devidog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake V View Post
Without a TV Fool report no one can comment. I'd post the report, note what direction the antenna(s) are aimed, and then list the stations you are getting and not getting.

Have you tried bypassing the amp? What happens? If your signal strength is not great you'd loose channels but you should have some consistency on those that you do get. Is the amp on both VHF and UHF or just UHF? How far from the antenna is the amp?

I've not seen baluns fail the way you describe (but I'm not an expert). They sell for a few bucks at places like Home Depot. Very easy to replace.
It's like a bad connection, doesn't affect the vhf signal just the uhf. Just moving the antenna 1 bump west then back one bump north to the same position brings it back. No I didn't bypass the amp. The balun on the db8 isn't standard at all and would only be available from the manufacturer. The tvfool report has nothing to play here as the signal is gone from all uhf channels then back on all uhf channels. If it were just 1 channel it would be different. As I stated the only thing I've tried is to replace the wire and connectors from the balun to the amp which requires me to lower the mast. I will probably just replace the pre-amp because I can do that from an extension ladder. The other question you asked is where the pre-amp is. It is on the mast about 5 feet down from the db8 and about a foot below the vhf antenna.
devidog is offline   Reply With Quote