View Single Post
Old 29-Aug-2016, 4:04 PM   #12
bobsgarage
Antenna Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I doubt it.

There are a number of possible causes for poor reception. It could be one, or two, or all. You will need to make some equipment substitutions, one-by-one, with known good parts to determine the cause, even if it means you end up with a completely separate antenna system with a different antenna, new coax, and a different antenna location.

Right now you are just guessing; you need to do methodical substitution troubleshooting.

If you think that what I'm suggesting is a lot of trouble, it couldn't be any worse than what you have done so far.
No Sir!

No trouble at all.

No more trouble than I already conceived. The truth is, I have already suggested that we start by replacing all the connections and the cable/satellite combiner. I would start with a coax joiner (male threads both ends) and tie off the satellite coax. AD Tech suggested a new Balun. Not a bad place to start either. I have an extra one anyhow.

The problem with replacing the coax it appears is that the coax tucks into the chimney enclosure and goes in through the walls of the house. So, that would be the last move even after antenna replacement.

I can however, get a 50 foot piece of coax and throw it over the roof and through a window for testing and eliminate that question.

He needs to update the antenna anyhow, since his is old technology already has a broken element.

I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks, Bob
bobsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote