View Single Post
Old 2-Dec-2014, 12:13 PM   #16
Canadianeh

Good morning,

So We're finally moved. Yesterday, I put together the 91XG antenna and it surprised me in some ways, and disappointed me as well in another. The 91XG is able to get 12-CFCF with about 85% signal strength - which would save em from needing a VHF antenna to point North. It also has no trouble picking up 21-CBMT and 15-CKMI. Unfortunately, anything I tried would not bring 49-CJNT up to a viewable level.

Test was:
Place antennas in 2nd story window to get a "feel" for the elevation and angle requirements, as my garage attic is open - so it requires a 16' ladder to "test". The 2nd story window provided some interesting results:

49-CJNT: - 91XG with RCA Amplifier and Hauppauge 950Q - ~12 SNR (15 required for picture, and 30 is max)
49-CJNT: - 91XG with CM 7777 (old) and Hauppauge 950Q - ~12.5 SNR

Ironically, I took my old DB4e and performed the same tests:

49-CJNT: DB4e with RCA amplifier and Hauppauge 950Q - 16 SNR (it tunes!)

49-CJNT: DB4e with CM 7777 amplifier and Hauppauge 950Q - 16.5 SNR (slightly better)

I find it odd that the 4-bay antenna with a much less gain rating would pull in this low powered station better, especially since 38-WCFE is 90 degrees off and LOS, as well as pretty strong. In all tests 38-WCFE comes in strong 90 degrees off axis.

Can anyone else think of a way to possibly squeeze out another couple DB to ensure my signal strength is sustainable for 49-CJNT? According to the TVFool map, the further to the East I go (toward the garage), the NM goes up ever so slightly. I've also read good things about the new Hauppauge 1265 being more sensitive than the 950Q, so that might be an option.

Would the 8-bay DB8e be a better choice than the 91XG after all, based on my findings?

TVFool report is in the first post.

Thank you all!
Canadianeh is offline   Reply With Quote