View Single Post
Old 12-Apr-2012, 4:35 AM   #16
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by umalum99 View Post
One more question, and this comes from my husband. Does having an antenna increase potential lightning strikes that could fry the TV?
I would argue, "the risk is about the same as connecting to the electrical, telephone or cable TV networks". Each of those utilities has the potential to be struck by lightning and could conduct some of that energy into your property. I presume your house is already higher than the surrounding ground. If so it's something of a lighting rod by itself.

So I recommend you take a couple of fairly inexpensive steps:

1) Connect a #10 copper wire to the mast or tripod and connect the other end of that wire to the electrical service ground rod.

2) Route the coax down-lead from the antenna so that is can connect to a coax grounding block located close to the electrical service ground. The coax grounding block should be connected to the electrical service ground with a short piece of #10 copper wire.

All of the parts needed are available at the big box home improvement stores.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=901

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote