View Single Post
Old 6-Mar-2012, 1:19 PM   #7
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMe View Post
No. All local TV channels including those in HD are free--period. Direct TV cannot affect this in any way. If you are able to receive local channels using the antenna installed by the Direct TV technician, then you are able to receive local channels using an antenna installed by anyone else including yourself. If the Direct TV technicians removed the OTA antenna, then the only legal reason for them to do so is that the OTA antenna is owned by Direct TV. Otherwise, removal of the antenna was theft.

Yes, I know that which is why I am installing my own antenna. My statement wasn't clear. I didn't mean to say they could keep me from getting the OTA stations. I should have said they removed THEIR antenna so I couldn't keep getting the stations without buying my own antenna. Direct TV doesn't sell you any equipment, they give it to you to use as long as you are a subscriber. So they were within their rights to reclaim it when I cancelled the HD service. I will see if they also want the regular tuner back when I cancel completely.

The thing that surpised me was the need for an OTA antenna to get some local channels in HD. In effect they are selling something that is free.

Last edited by Underdog; 6-Mar-2012 at 1:22 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote