View Single Post
Old 29-Feb-2016, 1:49 PM   #6
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
If your stuff corrodes from salt air, you're close enough.

Thanks for the link to the beamwidth, I overlooked that this morning. Silly me, I looked in the "Specifications" but didn't read the "Overview" carefully. I suspect someone used the verbiage from another model but didn't catch the different BW. I'll notify the marketing manager about it.

Horizontal beamwidth is technically defined as the "Half-Power Beam Width (HPBW)". This is the arc that covers the peak lobe and defines where the reception is 1/2 the peak on either side of maximum, also known as the -3 dB points. A good tutorial is available at http://www.antenna-theory.com/basics/radPatDefs.php

Should you need the wide BW of a C4 but desire a bit more gain, you can stack two C2s vertically on the same mast and combine them with a reversed splitter and two equal length coax segments. This will compress the radiation pattern vertically and will provide a 2-3 dB increase in forward gain while maintaining horizontal HPBW. This is the same as what happens when we go from our C1 to the C2 UHF loops or from a DB2e to a DB4e.
I tried combining it that way (stacking them) and it lost some power. Probably because using the splitter creates a loss or 3db. I think I would have needed a combiner similar to what included with the C4 to make that work. Just like the "old" vs "new" DB8 that introduced the PCB combiner. I'd be interested in trying it that way(PCB method) but basically using the splitter made it have the same reception as the C2.

This is the C4 spec sheet I had found thanks to Google. I'm thinking the 70 degree width is from the to bubbles on the higher UHF channels.

C4 spec sheet
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote