View Single Post
Old 3-Jun-2019, 11:45 PM   #30
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTAFAN View Post
If my memory serves me right, I believe KFLA-LD Channel 8's very directional antenna is what the owner was referring to when I contacted him several years ago by email. But he did say the FCC did not want any interference with border stations??? Again, memories are not often the best evidence in a court of law, but I would stand by my recollection today.
That is correct. The US has non-interference border agreements with Canada and Mexico. The antenna patterns of the US transmitters are designed to minimize interference with border countries. Your location is between the transmitter and the border.

The problem is especially critical at the US-Canadian border. Many Canadian viewers want to receive US channels, but the US channels are very weak because of the directional antenna patterns. Repack has made the problem even worse because of increased co-channel and adjacent channel interference.

The worst location for a Canadian viewer is just North of his local transmitters. When he aims his antenna South for the weak US channels, his local channels overpower the US channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OTAFANtvfCovKFLA.JPG (87.5 KB, 1019 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 4-Jun-2019 at 12:18 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote