View Single Post
Old 29-Feb-2016, 7:32 PM   #8
shoman94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
Not true.

When you use a splitter in reverse as a combiner, the loss is about 0.5 dB, which means that the most gain you can get when combining two identical antennas aimed in the same direction is 2.5 dB. When a splitter is used as a splitter, the loss about 3.5 dB because you are dividing the power in half.

It is possible to make a lower-loss combiner by connecting the coax lines from each antenna in parallel, which gives 37.5 ohms. This can be converted to 75 ohms by using a quarter wave matching section of 50 ohm coax.

It is also possible to make a half-wave coaxial balun that has less loss than a conventional ferrite core balun.

Any losses between the antenna and the input of the preamp subtract directly from the antenna gain.
Interesting. I've been reading that this afternoon as well. Basically I took my C4V that is stacked horizontally and stacked them vertically. Used 2 300-75ohm converters to 12" equal length coax to a splitter used as a combiner. My result was a loss in signal to my FOX tower which is the hardest for me to get. I expected it to be as strong as horizontally stacked but I was wrong. The only problem I could think of was all these connections added up to a signal loss.
shoman94 is offline   Reply With Quote