View Single Post
Old 10-Sep-2014, 4:33 PM   #7
GroundUrMast

When determining if a signal is UHF or VHF, ignore the virtual channel, consider only the real channel. UHF signals are in the range of real channels 14 and higher. There are two separate ranges of VHF signals that could be assigned to television broadcasting, Low-VHF is the group of real channels 2 through 6 and High-VHF is the group of channels 7 through 13.

WFXG uses virtual channel 54.1, this tells us nothing about what band (UHF/H-VHF/L-VHF) is used to broadcast it. The virtual channel has no bearing on the real channel used to broadcast the signal, which in this case is real channel 31. Your TV fool report provides a cross reference between the virtual channel and real channel so that you can be certain of the the real channel number which many people would not know otherwise.

Again, your report indicates that reception of WFXG should not require extreme measures, but should be fairly easy. The Mohu Leaf antenna would not be the antenna I would recommend in your application, but it covers the UHF band and could be used as a test antenna.

It sounds like you've tried many locations indoors, perhaps exhausting all possible locations. You have accumulated a significant amount of evidence that the interior of your home is a very poor reception location. If so, you can try:

Testing reception outdoors, using your existing antenna.
An outdoor antenna inside the house or attic. (the added gain may be enough to overcome the impairments to reception)
An outdoor antenna outdoors clear of obstructions (the most likely to provide the best results)

If I was in the same situation, I would install an Antennacraft HBU-44 or Winegard HD7698P outdoors, with an unobstructed view toward the east-south-east (about 110° per a compass). Both of these antennas are rather long so I would not consider using them in an indoor application. I would consider these antennas because they would give me a reasonable shot at reception of the weal signal from WEBA as well as all the stronger signals from the same general direction.

If all I wanted was reliable reception of WFXG, I would be able to use a much more compact antenna such as the Antennas Direct DB4E. But that antenna is a UHF only design so I would not expect reliable reception of the signals that are broadcast on VHF frequencies. The compact size/shape of the DB4E would make it possible to try indoor and attic locations. If those locations fail (not the fault of the antenna), I'd have to head outdoors.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 10-Sep-2014 at 4:36 PM.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote