View Single Post
Old 19-Feb-2015, 6:54 PM   #1
inline300

Antenna/ reception questions

I built a four bay bowtie diy no reflector antenna last spring. I want to say each element is 7". Pulled in 20 rock solid channels.
Then last fall, three stations just disappeared.
Week ago, blame the winter blues, I decided to see about getting those three channels back.
Step one, I put two small cheap metal grills, about the size of a sheet of paper behind, upper and lower two bowties.
To my surprise, the three channels were back. And to beat all, it was raining. Four hours later, they were gone, next day, gone.
Step two, I bought two similar size grills except they had a tighter mesh screen, installed, stations returned. Came in great, all day, all night.
Next day, gone, nice sunny clear day, but gone.
Step three, I tried some fencing, about a 1.5" x 3" squares. First installed behind existing mesh reflector. Had issues all over, then I tried just the fencing metal, lost half the channels.

So I take a look at the tvfool report and begin to really wonder why those channels are missing, attached link to report below.

Stations I want to get back are virtual channels 56.1,56.2,56.3 or real channel 31, which according to the map, is directly in front of real channel tower 42, which is virtual channels 46.1,46.2,46.3, I get those channels rock solid, hell or high water.

I have started over by cleaning the bowtie elements, replacing copper connecting elements, and replacing balun, not using a reflector, have 17 rock solid channels. Still no 56 or real channel 31.

I plan to toy around with a reflector again.
But open to ideas, as to how a tower behind another tower, comes in fine, but not the one in front?

Also wonder if I should build a larger four bay? or build a double four bay bowtie? Should I try a basic gray hoverman? I tried the gray hoverman when I built the four bay bowtie, cant recall why I chose one over the other but Im sure I had my reasons. lol

I also thought about trying the xg91, if anyone recommends that one. If it would pick up channels from tower 31 and help with other stations reception, Id be willing to tie it in with my existing antenna, as its pulled in the other 17 channels rock solid, hell or high water. I get a quick blip at times with one sub channel, if a car drives by or some other anomaly but nothing to bug me, I can live with it.

Any input appreciated. As much as Im willing to try another diy, Id be ok buying something, had my diy fill, ready to just have it work as I want it too.

Tvfool report link below, thanks:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...cd3fa3013e0ada

Last edited by inline300; 19-Feb-2015 at 6:58 PM.
inline300 is offline   Reply With Quote