View Single Post
Old 30-Apr-2014, 3:53 AM   #6
Charles

Thanks for the several responses, it is very helpful to a novice working on his first OTA antenna system.

In the last two days I've spent about five hours going between the roof and the family room television trying to get everything right. I started with a temporary cable from the RCA Preamp directly to the TV, nothing else in the circuit. I was quite happy to find that I had 31 usable channels. The trouble started when I had the permanent cable ready and plugged it in, I went from 31 to 5 or 6 channels. I systematically tested each link in the signal path and found one bad cable, and then found that I received far fewer stations with the RCA Preamp in the circuit. If there is a way to bench test the RCA I could know for sure that it is/isn't bad and then return it as defective if that is the case. I just ordered the AntennaCraft 10G221.

GroundUrMast, when I first installed the system, I did not start with the preamp out of the circuit. The preamp was installed right away and that is when I received 31 channels. I am now running without the preamp, using the just installed permanent cable, and I'm at about 25 channels, and that is without the VHF antenna connected. I still need to fine tune each half of the DB8e, but that will be much easier now that my son is home from college and we will have someone on the roof adjusting while the other is in with the TV noting the changes.

Thanks again for all of the advice!!!
Charles
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote