View Single Post
Old 24-Jun-2011, 8:05 PM   #12
egatx

Hmmm, that's disappointing that I placed the antenna poorly. I assumed that the location wouldn't make much of a difference given that the broadcast signals are strong; I thought it was enough just to get the thing outside and on my roof (which is about 12 feet off the ground, currently, but still a couple of feet below the peak, as I previously pointed out).

I live in a hilly area, and my home is located at a lower elevation that some close-proximity neighboring homes between me and the tower. No matter where I place the antenna on my roof, it will point at trees and other homes. Will these also present significant obstacles?

Before I settled on an outdoor antenna, I experimented by placing my Terk indoor antenna outside on my covered patio, running a cable directly into my HDHR as a quick test. In this configuration (with the antenna ~ 2 feet off the ground and seemingly blocked by the roof over the patio), I picked up everything except the VHF-hi station (7) just fine. Perhaps the style of antenna does matter in my case? I did this initial test with a Terk HDTVi.

According to the TV Fool report, the channels giving me trouble are ~2-3dBm lower than those I'm receiving without issue. Am I really on the hairy edge in my current configuration? Even the lower-powered VHF-hi station (7) comes in strongly; it seems like antenna location would affect it also.

In short: why do some stations come in strongly but not others? I'm hesitant to move the antenna until I have a reasonable understanding of why this matters. Reducing obstructions makes perfect sense, but I'm confused that anything is working well if my antenna is placed poorly.

Thanks,
EG
egatx is offline   Reply With Quote