View Single Post
Old 26-Sep-2010, 1:39 PM   #1
kpanov

NYC burbs, almost there....

Hello, I apologize in advance for a novice posting. I'm the researcher, not the engineer.

We live about 30 miles north of NYC, but have a large mountain in between us and the city, and also some very large trees. However, we've begun to experiment with the OTA options available and are pleasantly surprised by what we can do.

We're about to ditch FIOS and move to OTA reception. My husband purchased a Channel Master 3010 and a Winegard AP-8700 pre-amp, and installed them on the roof (about 30' off the ground), and we're almost there, but not quite on the reception. We get WCBS-DT beautifully, as well as WABC-DT. Fox (WNYW-DT) is nicely available, but there is some pixilelation. WNBC is not available at all. There is a short run from the roof, through a splitter (see below to hang off the other televisions) then to the main television (A Panasonic with a digital tuner). The final goal is to have two other televisions hanging off the connection (about 30' runs from the main television), one being a tuner on the Mac (for recordings).

As I said, we're nearly there on the reception. The main television and the Mac tuner are working nicely, and if we can pick up WNBC, we'll be done.

My question is whether another antenna would help in our situation. I've been reading on the Winegard lines, and wonder if a more powerful antenna would help, or are we lucky to get what we have? All the stations we're interested in are NYC stations, so the atenna would only be pointing to the south. Below is the TVfool report. Any help is appreciated, and again, I apologize for the novice posting.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...a3622135951d51

Kathleen
kpanov is offline   Reply With Quote