View Single Post
Old 4-Jul-2013, 11:47 PM   #1
Dpr99

I haven't even seen an antenna up close in 25 years

It's true, I was a little boy when our antenna blew off the roof and my old man spat a symphony of curse words that were as much art as anger. He picked up the antenna with the intent to haul it back up to the roof, turned toward the ladder he had set up, blinked, and chucked the antenna into the drive way. He then calmly walked inside and said "Kristie, call Nitco, we're getting cable".

That was it, I haven't seen an antenna since.

Fast forward to me as an adult and a similar situation happens only in reverse. I come home after a very rough day at work, my wife tells me she's pregnant (woo-hoo!) so money is going to be tighter, Dish Network is down again because of the rain, and I'm paying like $80 a month for the second to lowest package. It's time to chuck Dish into the yard (figuratively, I don't want to get charged for the dish).

Long story short (too late), I'd like to get an antenna for my house but I know nothing about it. I know internet quite well but over the air signals, not so much.

I'd like to find the right antenna to pull in my local stations. My wife watches the main network channels, CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, and CW. As long as I can pull one of each of those in and get their primetime programming I'll be happy. I'd rather have the antenna in the attic but if I have to have a roof mount I guess I'll accept it. Also, I'll be running the signal to probably 3 TVs, maybe 4 in the future if that matters. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know what type of antenna to buy, much less what brand or model. I'm not even 100% sure how to run the wiring although I can figure it out. I'm hoping that when I take down the dish I can connect the coaxial cable from the antenna to the connection point of the dish and use the same wiring that runs my Dish signal to all my tvs for the antenna signal.

Here is my TV Fool profile:
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...05590a3cd727b7

Last edited by Dpr99; 5-Jul-2013 at 1:07 PM. Reason: updated links
Dpr99 is offline   Reply With Quote