View Single Post
Old 25-Dec-2010, 8:28 AM   #1
Yaguy

Finding Appropriate Outdoor Antenna

Hi Everyone

I read a few answers to posts and I can see there are some very knowledgeable people here.

I'm in West Vancouver, BC, Canada. My elevation is 200 feet above sea level. I currently have a chimney mounted Vee Type VHF/UHF 39 Element Antenna on a rotator (35' height), similar to betwen a Channel Master 3018 and CM-3020. It might be from Antennacraft. It is not on any amp. I bought it at Radio Shack 18 years ago. Channel 6, non digital, is getting interferred with from FM radio stations in Vancouver- can hear the audio and the picture is affected too. I know the FM radio band is right there between VHF 6 and 7. I do think that it could also be the coax is degrading, as I happened to use RG59 that the cable company had put on the house, before I learned that it typically isn't as well shielded as RG6. The run is about 50' - 60'.

VHF channels 2 and 8 are very clear and strong. Channel 10 has slight ghosting, great sound; UHF-wise channel 32 is usually very clear and 17, 26, have some light snow, which is weather dependant. Channel 42 might be lower power, but usually is weaker. I did receive VHF Channel 12 KVOS in Bellingham clearly and KBCB, UHF 24, before the digital transition. Also did on occasion have KOMO 4 and KING 5 in Seattle come in. And when the antenna was new, during two summers on a very hot day, KEYT-3 in Santa Barbara, California, 1035 miles away! - That's why OTA is fun.

I'm on the same side of a mountain as the transmittor 10 miles northeast of me, and about 48 miles from KVOS-DT in the US.

My UHF part of the antenna has 5 elements on each dipole 'wing' and 12 directors and 1 driven element on the Yagi part. I think it was rated, when new, for UHF 45 miles.

So there's some distance to the US, and locally I'm about 10 miles from a transmittor on Mt. Seymour, and 38 miles from CHEK 6 on Saturna Island, due south of me, and somewhere in between for CKVU 10 in Vancouver.

My TV fool report is:

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da326b38cf6c52

What setups or antennas should best work with me? I know that Corner reflector Yagis are currently optimized for channel 69. And that channels 52 to 69 are going to be reassigned; so should I wait until Winegard and Channel Master optimize a new one for Channel 51, for an overall better gain for me in the channels I'll be watching, or look at a Bowtie type 4 or 8 bay?

I really would like to try a digital converter box before I pull down the old antenna which isn't in bad shape, and doesn't have rust. But locally there isn't much in the way of quality or really much of any digital converter boxes yet, as our digital transition is to take place Aug 31, 2011 and cable penetration is much deeper in Canada, with only 2.8% people in my area using OTA.

Thanks.
Yaguy is offline   Reply With Quote