Thread: Lightning Fix
View Single Post
Old 9-Nov-2010, 5:56 PM   #2
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2code View Post
So, an electrical storm took out my tuner a few weeks back. Lightning did not actually hit the house, but there must have been enough static electricity in the air to damage the tuner.

Now, I have a surge protector to place inline on the RG6 coax coming down from the antenna.

So, where should it go? I have a preamp, and this complicates my selection.
  • After the antenna but Before the Preamp Box?
  • After the Preamp Box but Before the Preamp Power Inserter?
  • After the Preamp Power Inserter and before the TV Tuner?
First choice would be on the input to the pre-amp PROVIDED that you have your pre-amp's case grounded as part of a contiguous and unified grounding scheme (single continuous wire running from the pre-amp case to mast to grounding block to structure's ground electrode system).

Second choice would be to install it on the antenna side of your grounding block and be prepared to sacrifice the pre-amp.

Most in-line coaxial surge suppressors work by diverting surge current from the center conductor to the coaxial shield. If the shield is not properly grounded with a low impedance path to ground, the device will simply shunt the current to the shield and the current will find its own path to ground, most likely through your indoor electronics equipment.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote