View Single Post
Old 28-Nov-2014, 7:59 PM   #11
vbatech

@ADTech. I started this thread because I was surprised that "CEA-Certified" did not involve the types of measurements you describe at a CEA-operated IEEE test range.

For my gain test, I fabricated a 183Mhz half-wave dipole from RG-59 COAX and compared tuner results for the 183Mhz VHF station on Mt. Soledad. It is testament to how bad the CEA color coding system is, if a half-wave dipole hanging on the facia of a first-floor roof overhang has no problem receiving a "blue" coded station.

At best, "CEA-Certified" is misleading, and at worst, it is costing consumers (especially renters) a lot of money if they rely on the ratings and determine they cannot cut the cord because the recommended antenna will not fit (or is not allowed) on their balcony. Down the road, it will cost them even more as available UHF spectrum shrinks and small indoor antennas become even less effective.

Antenna physics alone does not determine the results the consumer experiences, but I feel a little like Don Quixote in pushing the issue.

Hope you had a great turkey day!
vbatech is offline   Reply With Quote