View Single Post
Old 24-Jun-2011, 1:57 PM   #7
egatx

Thanks to GroundUrMast for the help so far. I did finally have an antenna installed, and while it seems to be working reasonably well, I do have some questions and potential issues. Read on for details.

Earlier this week I hired someone to install an antenna for me. While it seems like a straightforward project, I didn't trust myself to ground and mount it properly; plus, it was relatively inexpensive to just pay someone for a turnkey solution.

Anyway, the installer used a CM 4220. Initially I was concerned that I wouldn't pick up a VHF-hi station (FOX), but he assured me that my proximity to the towers wouldn't be an issue. I decided to try it with the assurance that if it didn't work well, we could try something else with no obligation to purchase.

The antenna is mounted to my single-story roof, connected to my existing coax network (to a single run with no splitters), ending at a SiliconDust HD Homerun 2-tuner device.

In general, reception when actually viewing content seems decent; after several minutes of viewing, I observed no pixelation or drop-outs on any of the channels I care about.

However, when I viewed the signal quality/strength (via the HD Homerun software), I was surprised to see that the highest-numbered UHF channels showed overall weaker signal quality compared to the lower-numbered UHF channels and VHF-hi channel. Specifically, channels 43 and 49 (CW and CBS) showed signal quality hovering around 60%, whereas the lower-numbered channels were consistently in the high 80s and 90s.

Any opinions on whether or not this is a concern? Is this considered a marginal signal, and should I expect reception issues at some point? Any hints as to why some UHF stations appear weaker than others, and if so, any tips as to what I can do to rectify the issue?

Thanks for any help,
EG
egatx is offline   Reply With Quote