View Single Post
Old 15-Nov-2017, 6:19 PM   #18
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Man View Post
If I am understanding you correctly, the RCA antenna is fine and moving the antenna to the chimney might help, but the trees could still be an issue with WNYW. Did mention that an antenna with more gain usually helps.
Fine? No, I don't think the RCA antenna has enough gain for WNYW, because it is far down the list of channels in decreasing strength order.

There is no magic antenna that will see through trees, but an antenna with more gain often helps.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/antennas/siting.html
scroll down to Trees and UHF

Moving the antenna to the chimney is more trouble, and I would pay someone to do the ladder work because my luck with ladders hasn't been too good. But, moving it to the chimney has a good chance of improving reception because it will give you increased height and the antenna will be a little further back from the trees. However, the signals at your location are not uniform over the whole lot; there will be hot spots and cold spots for the WNYW signal. Since the results are difficult to predict, you must be willing to experiment.
Quote:
Any suggestions?
As I previously said, the first level antenna upgrade would be the Winegard HD7694P; the next up would be the bigger HD7698P.
Quote:
In your opinion, should I try the chimney location before upgrading the antenna.
Either one has a good chance of showing reception improvement. If I were there with you, I would have the 7694P on hand. I would first move the 751 to the chimney as a test, then I would substitute the 7694 to test the reception. It is possible to just put the 7694 on the chimney, but I wouldn't know which made the difference, the location or the antenna.

The 7698 would be a last resort, other than going even higher with the antenna on a tall tripod roof mount or a tower.

Last edited by rabbit73; 15-Nov-2017 at 11:12 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote