View Single Post
Old 6-Jun-2016, 4:13 PM   #15
MadMennonite

An update!

I'm reviving my old thread, figure it's easier this way versus creating a new thread since the end game is still the same.

Finally revisiting the OTA TV project at home after being lent a Clearstream 2V to try out a month ago

The TV Fool report in the base post is still accurate, but I feel the height is more near the 35/40 foot mark (assumed from 2 story home, with attic above, and with basement being ground level on rear of property)

So, I was pleasantly surprised by my results with the 2V. I was expecting squat because I know I would need some help being in a primarily 2Edge area. This is the summary from my attic:
KYW - 3.1,2
WPHL - 17.1,2,3,4
WCAU - 10.1,2(3 with preamp)
WTXF - 29.1,2,4
WYBE - 35.1,2,3,4,5
WWSI-TV - 62.3(1,2 with preamp)
WTVE - 51.1,2
WUVP - 65.1,2,3,4
WPPX - 61.1,2,3,4,5,6
WGTW - 48.1,2
WPSG - 57.1,2
WBPH - 60.1 (Picked up with the CM3106, see below)
WFMZ was able to be picked up on the 2V as well, but very finicky.

The way my attic is, positioning is king. By moving the antenna back into the open and away from brick and more through shingle, I got the best results. I got roughly 32 channels with the 2V. I gave that back to my coworker who lent it, and picked up a Channel Master CM3016 (Advantage 45) on an Amazon Warehouse deal on a suggestion from a Reddit /r/OTA commenter. That fits in my attic, just makes it fun to dig for anything in that section of the attic when you need to grab something.

I was able to pull 37-42 channels with the CM3016 at best. I picked up an FM Trap (super cheap) from Radio Shack, and also picked up an RCA TVPRAMP1R (thanks GroundUrMast) to test results. I have a 10kw tower less than a mile from my house, and a 28kw tower 14ish miles away (see attached FM Fool image) among other things. The FM Trap didn't help a ton, as the signal attenuated a few of the weaker channels, and it did not help pull in WPVI. The RCA preamp helped pull in more sub channels (getting the really super weak Philly channels), bringing my total to around 50-52; still no WPVI (not shocked).

So, I'm debating trying a different antenna of a similar size, or trying a folded dipole cut to Ch 6 and running a duplexer or combine in to the RCA Preamp (seen from rabbit73's posts). As stated in a simple form before, roof mounting is difficult in my situation as the cleanest way to the roof and chimney requires scaffolding or an uber-long ladder from the back or front of my home, the ground on the side is on a slant. If I am destined to roof mount, I will most likely hire out.

Any suggestions on other affordable antennas to try out? Is the dipole a great idea?
Attached Images
File Type: png Radar-FM.png (99.5 KB, 1454 views)
MadMennonite is offline   Reply With Quote