View Single Post
Old 23-Jan-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
dragons021

Clearstream4 + Televes Yagi-BIII vs. Winegard 7698P

Hi, I'm looking for help in determining the better set up.

TVFool map: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...e6a4bc42f32192

I bought a Clearstream4 and tested in an upstairs window facing W/SW (~15-20 ft.) and picked up a reasonable signal on NYC stations down the list to Fox (44 (5.1). I did not pull in NBC (28 (4.1). The weaker stations were mostly watchable, but somewhat choppy.

I then put the Clearstream in the attic, aimed at 46 degrees magnetic and picked up reasonable signals on Hartford stations down to NBC (35 (30.1), but did not pull in Fox (31 (61.1). Again, the weaker stations were mostly watchable, but somewhat choppy.

I took the reflector off the Clearstream, mounted it to a 10' post and went out on my breezeway roof, steadied it with a ladder and read a HDHomerun scan. I picked up signals on all stations, 60-70 ish signal strength, with 100 or close to 100 signal quality.

My intention was to mount the clearstream on an eave mount from the breezeway roof. Cheap install and gives me the ability to adjust. But, I discovered it is not something I am capable of doing (heights).

So I have an installer (found with good reviews on Angies list) coming Weds. Using an installer, it's more of a one and done set up, so I want to make sure I get it right.

The signals are promising, especially considering I can add 6' with an eave mount and 9'+ with a tripod roof mount to the signals I already received, but I have tons of trees in both directions and I'm concerned about when the leaves grow back. I now want the best signal possible off the bat, even if I pay more up front.

I am planning to connect to an HDHomerun Extend, using <50' coax run. I have access to the basement on both sides of the house where I'll immediately connect to the HDHomerun(s).

On one of the eaves, there is a good gap between 2 trees towards Hartford, but a huge tree in the way of NYC. On the other eave, there is a smaller gap between 2 trees towards Hartford and the best location for NYC.

I don't mind putting in multiple antennas, connecting to multiple HDHomeruns, but would obviously prefer to keep it as minimal as possible.

The gain of the CS4 is listed as 12.5db, I assume that is with reflector. Can anyone tell me the gain from the front and backside with reflector removed?

The gain of the Televes BIII on channel 7 is ~9db.

The UHF gain of the Winegard is 12-14 and 10.4 for VHF channel 7. Can the winegard pick up any channels from the back side, or is it solely in the direction it's pointed?

I'm thinking that my best bet is the Winegard on one eave, pointed to NYC and the Clearstream (w/ or w/o reflector) on the other eave pointed towards Hartford (also picking up the New Haven and Long Island stations to the East / South).

With ~50' cable runs, is there any benefit for a pre-amp? Do I need an FM Trap if I do not use a pre-amp?

I've tried to put down all my pertinent thoughts, but would be happy to clarify or answer any questions.

Thanks in advance for any help!

(note that I moved shortly after I asked for help about 4 years ago, prior to implementing the plan. This is my first attempt at OTA in the new house)

Last edited by dragons021; 23-Jan-2017 at 10:42 PM.
dragons021 is offline   Reply With Quote