View Single Post
Old 30-Dec-2010, 4:54 AM   #19
GroundUrMast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vms View Post
I see, I had one ground wire too many-the one that was running with the coax.

So, instead of running the ground wire from the grounding block to the new ground rod, I should run it to the GES? I read that the ground wire should go from the grounding block to the new ground rod, which of course is connected with the #6 AWG copper wire to the GES. Either way will work for me; I just want to make sure I have this right.

How do I find out what the codes are in my area?

Do you think that if I install one ground rod that will suffice? I was thinking of installing the first one near the corner of the house so that I would eliminate an additional bend in the ground wire.
Ideally, locate the coax ground block close to the ground rod that is closest to the electrical service.

Ideally, the mast ground would connect to the same ground rod, close to the electrical service. However, you, I and many others need to locate the mast some distance away and so we expand the GES buy adding a ground rod close to the base of the mast. As I mentioned previously, all ground rods should be connected together, forming a single ground system. I can't think of a reason to add two rods... but, if you want to, cool.

http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/

Some cities or counties will take a phone call and be quite helpful, others seem less service oriented and more interested in revenue and heavy handed enforcement. Try for the first, without giving your name and address. If you have an unfriendly government, try investing in a beer or two with a local electrician.

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 20-Oct-2011 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Added link to codes
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote