View Single Post
Old 22-Aug-2016, 1:22 AM   #16
cflannagan

Thanks for the very detailed post showing numbers. Lot for me to take (I'm a coder so I love geeky details).

So, based on your post, and studying other links/docs, I think I want to achieve a NM of 0 at least (preferably 5 or 10 NM, to give myself buffer, otherwise I'd probably have frustrating viewing experience having signal drop below threshold quite often due to random events).

Antennas comes with gain that will add to the NM (says here https://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opt...57#how_to_read that antenna is the only one that I can really add to NM?), and based on your post, it sounds like I don't want antennas with too much gain - because it seems most of the stations I want already have NM numbers of around 55? (adding 15 NM or so would put it into overload territory). How much gain would I get from the HD7694P?

And then signal power is another thing. Sounds like I want to aim for -5 dBm or less. Anything over -5 dBm would also be overload. So, if I remove the powered amplifier, it'll eliminate about 20 db, bringing me out of overload territory. Hope I understand this correctly.

But removing powered amplifier would cause me to lose NBC with my current antenna; we've already established that my current antenna is not effective for NBC, so the new antenna would most likely solve this.

Thanks for the quick education!
cflannagan is offline   Reply With Quote