View Single Post
Old 29-Feb-2012, 5:36 PM   #45
Dave Loudin

Hiya, phil! I see you're posting here as well as over at AVS. I will repeat what I recommended there for everyone's comment and review:

You are VERY shadowed to Mt. Wilson. Any locals from that direction will be scattered off of the top of the hill, and as TVFool shows, the VHF channels will bo this better than the UHF ones. Although the propagation model used by this site may not handle all scattering situations well, I believe the trends in your case, if not the actual values, are correct. For example, I doubt you will ever get a sniff of KCBS.

If I were you, I'd aim a big VHF antenna like the Winegard YA-1713 or the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 at Mt. Wilson, and tip the antenna up 15 degrees or so. That should get you 7, 9, 11, and 13. Next, I would aim an antenna (see below) at San Diego for the rest of the network affiliates.

What to use for San Diego is a bit of a quandry. You NEED KFMB RF 8 for CBS, but you don't need KGTV RF 10 for ABC. I can see at least two ways (I'm sure there's more) to go.

First, you could aim an Antennas Direct 91XG at San Diego for the UHF stations and use a rotor on the VHF antenna to swing it over for CBS. That way, you could combine both antennas into one coax drop to all your TVs.

Second, you could aim an Antennacraft HBU-55 or a Winegard HD7698 at San Diego. You would need to run a separate coax feed to all your TVs, as you could not combine the Mt. Wilson VHF antenna with this one.

Well, there is the third option of just buying the San Diego antenna and a rotor to swing it over to get the Mt. Wilson VHFs.

Each solution has its complications, so you will need to decide what you can live with and without.
Dave Loudin is offline   Reply With Quote