View Single Post
Old 17-Dec-2014, 9:54 PM   #1
Flint Ridge
Junior Member Wannabe

"Advanced" Grounding

Ok, here is the situation. I have been on a quest for a taller tower and have picked one up. This additional height will get me above all trees and over the hump from a TVFool report standpoint - hopefully placing me in the sweet spot for reception on a weaker station.

Tower is solid legged, each leg to be grounded via #2 AWG solid copper from the tower leg connection to double bolted 8' grounding rod buried min of 6". My antenna will oddly enough be on the top via a mast, clearing other items on the tower. Tower has a mount for a lightning rod as well, but these are normally 6' max and the antenna will probably peak at 13' above the tower.

Is there any good logic in getting the lightning rod higher as I presume my chances of taking a strike are increased with being one of the higher points for miles around, baring other towers. If I should try this, then how?

I've also read a suggestion that placing a grounding block in front of the amp provides additional protection as it would be then directly grounded to the tower mast - Is there benefit to this? I know I'll introduce some additional loss if this is done, but should have it to spare.

Old-timer was trying to convince me that whatever I do, I need to also take the tower ground and get it mated with the house ground, even if that meant just connecting the ground from the planned outlet to the tower ground.

I'm just looking to reduce likelihood of popping my amp and having to scale into the heavens to replace an expensive item. Thoughts and other ideas would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
Flint Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote