View Single Post
Old 20-Sep-2011, 7:15 AM   #5
be236

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Candle View Post
You can connect a CPA-19 preamp to the VU-190 and see what can be received. Careful aiming of the antenna for Canada tv reception will help , turn the antenna to the left and right for the strongest signal. After reading the information about the Canada tv transition you now understand that Canada has a mix of analog and digital tv stations and will likely have for a long time in to the future. The complete tv analog shut down for the USA is 2015.
Yes, I do understand those BC stations and which are digital (well most are, except for CHEK 6 analog on temp authority to stay there for the short future)...

Basically, with tvfool shows the direction of those stations I want and looking overlap with satellite map, I can see my antenna is pointed in that exact location.. of course I will adjust left and right ever slightly to be sure... for now basically I am fairly confident the channels I want are all UHF and digital (except CHEK 6)... and yes, I do intend to have dedicated antenna for those stations and another big antenna like VU-190 pointed south towards Seattle , which works all fine (I can get KBTC 27 just fine now with no pre-amp)...

As for that CPA-19... again, that only boosts signal downstream right, it does NOT increase my antenna signal gain, as I have read by another poster...

So, back to my original question... if theory if the channels I want is say at -15 dBm , and I find that DB8 can get me a gain of 16 dBm, say, then my net gain is 1 dBm, and with amplifier, the input to my TV should be 1 dBm, right?

.. But I read elsewhere that I need at input to TV about 8-9 dBm to get a digital lock on my tuner to get a signal, right?
be236 is offline   Reply With Quote