View Single Post
Old 28-Jan-2012, 4:44 AM   #14
RenoPaul

Thank you to everyone that replied.

In fact, my DIYtenna is working just fine. Even my first prototype laid out on 1/4 inch foam board, with the elements tacked down with artist's tape has survived rain, a small snowfall, and an 80+ Mph wind storm. More than I can say for the tanker truck on the highway a few miles north of me, the same day I posted about the high winds in my area.

As for modeling, I've been trying to find something to assist my own testing, in more of a graphical form. Guess that's something for the future.

For what its worth, my prototype was based on the 1" per segment Ruckman, and another one that I've been using indoors based on the same format, but with 3" segments. The larger one does work much better.

But back to modeling. On paper, an internal combustion engine can't possibly work, but take into consideration the lubricating factor, and all works quite well.

And a brief "Back to VSWR". In my experience of the CB Radio years, I found that moving a magnetic rooftop antenna to a different location on a vehicle made some drastic changes in VSWR.

No offense to the modelers, but I can't see how a firm statement of poor VSWR can hold true in all cases.

However, I will still hold to my main opinion. Before you buy a commercial antenna, try a DIY. You may just surprise yourself.
RenoPaul is offline   Reply With Quote