View Single Post
Old 13-Nov-2014, 6:59 PM   #3
mmbridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
All preamps use the power inserter unless you've got some oddball amp you're looking at.
Hi ADTech,

Thanks for the quick reply. The Kitztech KT-200 comes in two versions. See http://www.kitztech.com/

One has a separate DC input plug for the AC/DC adapter which would sit in the house and therefore not use the coax power inserter. The other is mast mounted and uses the power inserter. Other than that difference the preamp itself seems to be the same. I saw where one person mounted the version with the separate DC plug up at the mast and just ran a properly rated low voltage DC power cable up to the unit.

I was trying to figure out if there was an advantage to using the unit with a separate DC plug mounted at the mast. I was concerned about ground loops or other interference that might be introduced by sharing the coax with TV signal and DC power when using the coax power inserter version.

I have a ground block at the base of my antenna pole which goes straight into a ground rod. If I use the power inserter I assume my ground stake is tied to the coax braiding and consequently to the negative DC reference of the AC/DC adapter (wall wart). Wasn't sure if this would cause a round loop and suboptimal performance.

Hope that provides some additional clarification.

Mike
mmbridges is offline   Reply With Quote