View Single Post
Old 26-Jan-2015, 11:12 AM   #27
ADTech
Antennas Direct Tech Supp

Where is the preamplifier that was prescribed? Without one, you don't have much of a chance.

I worked your plot backwards and came up with a location in the near vicinity of the intersection of Appleton and Lembert. That location is directly behind the peak of that 1400' hill less than a mile away (that intersection is at 900' ASL). Being 500' below a hill less than a mile away will pretty much remove any chance of predicting reliability of UHF reception, the UHF signals simply won't diffract soon enough to reach your elevation within that short of a distance with enough strength and quality to provide reception. VHF diffracts more readily and that's why you're getting those stations.

There's only so much that one can glean from the TVFool plot in making a reception assessment, sometimes it takes looking at the actual topographic map combined with experience to "read" the terrain from a computer screen and apply ones experience in previous situations to come up with a best estimate of one's chances. If I'd looked at the terrain first, I'd have assigned a near zero chance of reliable UHF reception for your immediate area.

Fellow member Pete Higgins is behind a similar hill down in the San Marino area complicated by transmitters on the hill that he's behind (at least you don't have that concern). I gave him a "near zero" chance of reliable reception, but through extraordinary means, he's managed to pull out a level of reception that keeps him busy. You might want to review his posts from when he was working on his system for insight into what it took.

For support and recommendations regarding our products, please contact us directly at https://www.antennasdirect.com/customer-service.html

Sorry, I'm not a mod and cannot assist with your site registration.

Last edited by ADTech; 26-Jan-2015 at 11:33 AM.
ADTech is offline   Reply With Quote