View Single Post
Old 22-Feb-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
mtownsend

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernow View Post
why am I getting the best reception of WUSF with the antenna pointing 15 degrees instead of the expect 229 degrees? I assume it may be something related to the 2Edge type of reception.
Hello and welcome!

There are lots of possible reasons why a particular channel will/won't come in, so without detailed analysis of the signal coming out of your coax, we can only speculate what the most likely causes might be...

My first guess would be that you're getting overload on your CM 7777 amp. Some of the nearby stations are strong enough to put the 7777 into overload, and you're probably better off without it. When you turn your antenna to a heading of 15 degrees, you're probably getting the strong local stations into the first deep null of your DB4 antenna. This cuts down on the amount of signal power going into the amp and might be enough to bring it out of overload.

When you point the DB4 directly at WUSF, there is probably enough of a back lobe of the antenna pattern to still leave your amp in an overloaded condition due to the strength of the local stations.

Another possibility is that you're getting a combination of channel harmonics (by-products of frequency mixing of some of your strong stations) that are affecting WUSF. If the right combination of frequencies is causing noise on channel 34, it might clobber that channel. Again, adjusting your antenna will alter the relative strength of signals, which also changes the relative strengths of their harmonic by-products.

There are many other possibilities (or contributing factors), and there's no way to know for sure what's affecting your situation without further testing.

The first thing I would try to do is remove the amp. If WUSF peaks out at heading 235 degrees (as expected) instead of 15 degrees, then you'll know that the amp was being overloaded by the local stations.
mtownsend is offline   Reply With Quote