View Single Post
Old 10-Jun-2016, 9:08 PM   #6
Blackbeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Which is the specific subject of this thread.

In any event, the only thing in the signal path in either unit is a small value capacitor that passes the RF signals but blocks DC. There's not much you can do about it if you're not using an amp but to accept that you'll have a bit more insertion loss, exactly the same as if you'd had a longer coax or some other attenuation etc with or without an amp. You STILL have to do your homework and the math to calculate the insertion loss either way for any situation where you're working close to the reception noise floor. If you're in a strong signal area, it doesn't matter as there's enough signal margin to tolerate the small amount of additional loss.

I tested the IL for the ROTR100 a few years ago but haven't revisited that subject since. Since the product is pretty much dead or not available, it's a moot point as I see it.
It's not a moot point as I still have the roter in full working order atop my Apt building that I would really like to use when I move to my new house in the next month. Unfortunately I figured this might be the case regarding the single cable usage but it would be a major advantage if I could keep this to a single cable with the way the home is wired as I could simply tap the cable TV connection into the house without having to bore another hole in the brick wall, I would even consider not using a preamp as the cable run isn't massively long atop a 1 1/2 story building on a chimney mount assuming running everything through one cable would severely limit signal.

Last edited by Blackbeen; 10-Jun-2016 at 9:10 PM. Reason: typo
Blackbeen is offline   Reply With Quote