View Single Post
Old 13-Sep-2018, 10:27 PM   #19
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by niv
Here are the results of todays experimentation. I realigned the antenna to match up with the SignalLines picture. I have to note, any time I work on the tower with the mast down I have a greater appreciation of ballerinas. There is no ladder involved, I climb the tower. I have a safety belt so I'm strapped in. Mast down, I cannot get my foot in so I'm always on my toes. When I come down off the tower my calves are screaming. :-) My prior alinement was a degree or two off. That came up with some interesting results.

All results have the PA on line. I might experiment tomorrow with it off line. Going through the DA to the SDT Ch 3 (24) was there, Ch 5 (16) went away, opposite of before. All others (8,10, 15, 45, 61) were there.

Now the starling results. Just for grins I checked out the LG TV. 3, 5, 8, 10, 15, 45, 61 were all there, AND SO WAS 12!!!! Barely but I never expected to see it. Trying to measure it is what drives me up a wall. The LG has a signal meter. Shows Strength and Quality. Through the DA S 54 Q 17-19; Direct from antenna S 54 Q 20-32; Splitter 3.5 leg S 54 Q 19-25; 7.0 leg S 54 Q 20-38. Q readings are always bouncing all over the place. S pretty much stayed at 54 occasionally going to 55 no matter how the signal was being provided. It would seem that the Q would drop when I went from the 3.5 leg to the 7 leg. I suppose it’s all atmospherics, not being able to test all at the same time.

The Hopper OTA Tuner there was no 3, 5, & 12. Then I tried a direct antenna feed to the SDT and both 3 and 5 were gone. I’ve gone back to my default going through the DA until the next round of tests. Any suggestions on what to try?
Quote:
Ch 5 (16) went away
KPHO, virtual channel 5.1, is real channel 17, isn't? If you are going to use the virtual channel number, please use the decimal form to avoid confusion.
Quote:
I suppose it’s all atmospherics, not being able to test all at the same time.
That's true; OTA signals are constantly changing.

Sounds like the LG has the best tuner.

Last edited by rabbit73; 14-Sep-2018 at 1:02 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote