rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Hello. blu; welcome to the forum.

KLRN - 145 deg, PBS, real channel 9
KSAT - 141 deg, ABC, real channel 12
KABB - 141 deg, Fox, real channel 30
KENS - 141 deg, CBS, real channel 39
WOAI - 141 deg, NBC, real channel 48

The first two are on VHF-High, so you will need a VHF-High/UHF combo antenna like the Winegard HD7694P.
http://www.winegard.com/kbase/uploads/HD7694P.pdf
Quote:
our house will have a metal roof, so I'm unsure if an attic antenna would work.
A metal room will block the TV signals.
Quote:
Another thought is to have the builder build us a "dormer" on top of the roof, that looks decorative but can also hide our antenna inside of it.
That might work if the window faces in the direction of the transmitters. A metal screen or lowE glass will block TV signals.
Quote:
2: Do you think any type of amplifier/booster would be needed, or any additional equipment?
According to your report, probably not unless the trees are in the signal path; they also block TV signals. Try it without a preamp first. If one is needed, I suggest an Antennas Direct Juice preamp.
Quote:
3: How high up do you think we need to mount the antenna?
Ideally, high enough to clear the trees. Your report doesn't state a height, so it is at the default height, which I think is 10 feet.
Quote:
4: Any chance we'll be able to make attic-mount work, or will it need to go on the roof?
Outside is always better. No chance without the dormer, fiberglass skylight, or through the end like vinyl siding. The dormer is the best for inside.
Quote:
5: Do trees have an impact on the signal we will receive? There are a good amount of oak trees around us.
Yes, they cause a lot of signal loss, especially when wet.

Quote:
6: Since all our needed channels are in the same direction, I don't see a reason to make the antenna motorized/rotating. Do you?
No
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trees and UHF2_1.jpg (126.2 KB, 1278 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 28-Mar-2017 at 7:48 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote