View Single Post
Old 29-Oct-2019, 7:49 AM   #4
OTAFAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshb View Post
1. I do see another big antenna ( Winegard HD8200U ) along with HD7694P in Amazon. Does it help if I go for the bigger one?

2. Do I need to use any pre-amp?

3. What about this antenna RCA ANT751R?. This seems to have good rating.

4. What is the minimum signal strength required for a good reception?
Hi sudheeshb:

The Winegard HD8200U has more gain than the HD7694P, but it's much more expensive. I'm guessing that if rabbit73 recommended the HD7649P for your location, he probably thought it would be sufficient for your needs. But I'm sure he could elaborate. Here is a link for the HD8200U with specs that might be helpful. Open up the first tab in the upper left corner, "TV Antennas & Supplies," then scroll down to the bottom to "Outdoor Antennas." While you're on the site, you could check out the other two antennas mentioned as well.

https://www.solidsignal.com/

As far as a preamp is concerned, you'll have to get up on your roof (Safety First!), and see if you can pull in the stations you want with adequate signal strengths. You do have some 1 & 2 Edge issues according to your signal reports, and it's possible you will need a preamp and amp. But you'll have to test out the antenna you use.

Here is a TV Fool thread link that goes into detail about the RCA ANT751R. It should answer most all your questions. I have used it and it's elder brother, the HD7000R at my location some 35 miles south of Mt. Wilson, here in SOCAL LA/OC with excellent results. I'm in a strong to moderate signal location, BTW.

http://forum.tvfool.com/showthread.php?t=16264

I'm not sure about your minimum signal strength question, but if you go with rabbit73s antenna recommendation, it might not be too relevant. He could give you a more definitive answer or if other Techs chime in, I'm sure they could answer that for you as well.

Anyway, all the best to you! And please check back in with an updated report when you've finished getting your antenna set up. I would be interested in how it goes for you. Thanks!

Last edited by OTAFAN; 29-Oct-2019 at 8:13 AM. Reason: additional
OTAFAN is offline   Reply With Quote