View Single Post
Old 8-Oct-2013, 6:49 AM   #2
GroundUrMast

I'd like to suggest you add the newly designed DB8e to your list.

Even if you limit the criteria to just gain, you still have to consider the gain vs. frequency characteristics of a given antenna. You may find that the 'best' antenna in one application can be second or third best in another. The 91XG has higher gain at the top of the UHF band so some of it's competitors may have it beat in a case where you're after a weak signal at the bottom of the band.

Depending on the application, you may need to consider beam width to be more critical than gain. In other applications, the front to back ratio can be of concern... In some applications you may want F/B to be as high as possible, in another, a low F/B may be ideal.

That said, the antennas you've listed are so close in gain performance that most will not be able to see a significant difference in day to day use.

I think it's fair to expect some friendly advocacy for each. I own the 91XG and a Winegard HD8800. The 8800 doesn't come close to competing with the 91XG. In fact, my DB4e outperforms the 8800 easily. (All of this is of course just one anecdotal report.)

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote