View Single Post
Old 6-Dec-2019, 11:22 PM   #14
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHenry View Post
Tim, when the CM-5020's original "built-in" balun failed I called Channel Master.
In what way did it fail?
Quote:
They stated that I could not get an exact replacement balun, instead all they offered was the CM-94444 in-line balun.
That's really poor support. They sell you an expensive antenna and then they will not send you an original replacement balun.
Quote:
I'm still unsure what kind of balun to try next. Lowes has a cheap one that I believe is an iron core type. The CM-94444 I currently have is of the circuit board type. In my simple mind a basic core seems more sturdy than a circuit board?? I think I'll order another CM-94444 and swap it out when the weather improves.
You need a ferrite core balun to cover all three TV bands, VHF-Low (real channels 2-6), VHF-High (7-13), and UHF (14-51; soon to be 14-36).

A halfwave coax balun is low loss, but it only covers one TV band.

There are two types of printed circuit board baluns. A UHF printed circuit board balun is only good for UHF.

There is a type of circuit board balun thay is good for all three TV bands because it has a ferrite core balun mounted on the board. You will only find this only on Winegard antennas.

I really don't know what is inside the CM-5020 balun; can you show us the inside of the one you removed?

I suggest you use the CM94444 balun, but keep the leads short. It's an outdoor balun and should be waterproof.

Since your signals are quite weak, I suggest you add a preamp near the antenna, and run the RG6 coax down to the grounding block and then to the power inserter inside.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CM-5020 Balun.jpg (94.9 KB, 2449 views)

Last edited by rabbit73; 7-Dec-2019 at 5:57 PM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote