View Single Post
Old 4-Jun-2015, 6:24 PM   #1
michaelt84

Antenna Suggestion?

We are reroofing our house and I’m looking to replace an old antenna that came with the house. In order to keep an OTA antenna, I’ve promised my better half that I will relocate it from the chimney on the front of the house to a less visible location on the side/back of the house, which shouldn’t affect the LOS. I’m also replacing all the coax with new RG6.

Here is a link to our report: TVFool Report

I really only need ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC and PBS, which cover both VHF Hi-Band and UHF; all the transmitters I need are located about 30 miles away at 81° on Mt. Wilson in LA, so I’m looking at a highly directional antenna. According to my report, the strongest signal I need to receive is -71.5 dBm and the weakest is -98.0 dBm. I do have some significant terrain and trees between our house and Mt. Wilson. Last night I was able to pick up a very pixelated signal from a station (I0N/30.1) that is listed at -108.9 dBm at 83°.

For some unknown reason, I’m intermittently unable to receive one of the main networks, possibly KABC in the VHF Hi-Band, but can’t remember for sure … and of course everything is coming in perfectly when I check now. These outages seem to only occur in the 9th inning of baseball games or on the 18th green of major golf tournaments.

Here is my current OTA setup:
Existing antenna

Channel Master Model 7777 Preamp

Channel Master Model 0747 Power Supply

PCT-MA2-8P Distribution Amp
I assume that I’m looking for something like one of these:
Solid Signal Xtreme Signal Long Range HD VHF/UHF/FM Antenna(HD8200XL)

Winegard Heavy Duty Platinum VHF/UHF/FM HDTV Antenna(HD8200U)
I wouldn’t mind using the antenna for FM reception as well, if it doesn’t detract from HDTV reception.

Is there a specific antenna that you would recommend for my location? Also, should I reuse the existing Preamp & Distribution Amp or is there something better I should I install?

Thanks for any recommendations you can provide!
michaelt84 is offline   Reply With Quote