Thread: Getting Fed Up
View Single Post
Old 14-Nov-2013, 9:33 AM   #17
StephanieS

1x

In this situation I'd go with a antenna's direct 43xg or 91xg pointed at 240 magnetic with a RCA preamp.

With a clear line of sight in the direction of the transmitters and the antenna placed on your roof, it is likely that you'll see most major affiliates down to WJAC. WPSU (PBS) is iffy and may be intermittent. Any chance at WPSU will require the antenna to be outdoors. WQMY at magnetic 83 I address a little farther down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
Well, the 8200 is a substantial mismatch for your needs since all your available channels are UHF. A UHF Yagi or an 8-Bay antenna with a good low-noise, medium pre-amp, especially if you can get it outdoors, is your best bet.

Elements and gain. I'm a fan of yagis due to their directionality and narrow beamwith to use that gain in the direction you want it, especially when you are going for weak/distant/terrain obstructed signals. That said, a DB8e or 4228HD in the bowtie designs have advantages as well, like having more surface to capture the signal if you are in situation where signals are reflecting around and that additional reception surface is advantageous.

It depends on what you want. If the signals at magnetic 244 and 253, and a shot at 228 are all you want. I'd go with a yagis mentioned above. If you want a better likelyhood of receiving the signal at magnetic 83, in addition to the other signals go with the bowtie design.

Currently, you can find at solid signal a 43xg open box special for 44 bucks.
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...0Antennas&sku=

I lucked out and caught solid signal offering an open box 91xg for 39 bucks. All the parts where there and the antenna was just fine in all aspects. Performs wonderfully pulling in a signal at 55 miles, 7.0 db strength and 400 watts via 1-edge conditions with an RCA Preamp. The described signal is 99% rock solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoodbutcher View Post

What makes a good long range UHF antenna? Sheer physical size or the number of elements? I suppose I am talking about Yagis, but it could apply to a bowtie, also.

Last edited by StephanieS; 14-Nov-2013 at 10:06 AM.
StephanieS is offline   Reply With Quote