Thread: Changing SNR
View Single Post
Old 28-Aug-2012, 7:03 PM   #11
dssturk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
The CM-3414 and the CM-3410 which it's based on are very good distribution amplifiers. As with any amplifier, they can't compensate for the negative effect on SNR caused by cable, diplexer and splitter losses on the input side of the amplifier.

In other words, the CPA-19 preamp installed at the antenna would be the best option. An amplifier installed down stream of the second diplexer will not overcome the SNR hit of the cable or diplexer losses from the antenna to the input of the amplifier.
Thanks for the feed back. I have 1 question on the preamp side vs the distribution amp side. I Rent and have a set # of holes/cables coming into the apartment. The distribution amp can be added inside with just 1 diplexor before it. Using existing cabling the preamp would still have to share that diplexor (being the power amp would be inside) and I'm not sure how removing the DC blocker from the Turk diplexor would affect my satelite LNB power and or the TV preamp power being they are sharing 1 cable for a time. The RCA diplexors are built in DC block and cannot be changed were as the Turk diplexors have an additional adaptor to block DC power. Once I remove them I don't know what power (LNB or preamp) will go where or affect what. I agree the preamp is the better solution but to do it right I would need to drill another hole in the Landlords house and then split my TV signal 4 ways inside.

Does this affect what you recommend?

Last edited by dssturk; 28-Aug-2012 at 7:07 PM. Reason: additional
dssturk is offline   Reply With Quote