View Single Post
Old 19-Feb-2015, 1:28 AM   #9
GroundUrMast

Keep it simple is usually good advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCoaster View Post
Do you think I need (or should) use a separate amp for each section of the antenna and then go into a combiner...followed by finally going to each TV ?? Is this overkill? I just want to get my purchases made and ensure I got all the stuff I need.

Thanks
I would try one amplifier if you opt to use a UHF antenna and a VHF antenna. the RCA TVPRAMP1R has inputs for each type of antenna. If you opt for a single input preamp like the Antennas Direct 'Juice', an external UHF/VHF combiner will have the same net effect on system performance as the combiner built into a dual input preamp.

If you are thinking of two UHF antennas aimed at different markets, that's an entirely different design problem. You'll not find a passive combiner solution that can guaranty reliable performance. Most folks opt to use A/B switching or a second tuner box connected to an AUX video input on the TV... Cabling the two antennas separately, all the way from the antennas to the tuners. In this scenario, each antenna would need it's own preamp.

Edit:
I was typing at the same time ADTech was... His thought process and mine were on separate tracks. ADTech is absolutely right to suggest using only one preamp if you are using only one DB8E antenna. Obviously I was imagining a multiple antenna solution... Just to be sure, what were you thinking? One DB8E or a DB8E + VHF antenna or something else?

(Please direct account activation inquiries to 'admin')

Last edited by GroundUrMast; 19-Feb-2015 at 1:40 AM. Reason: sp.
GroundUrMast is offline   Reply With Quote