View Single Post
Old 22-Oct-2015, 6:20 PM   #4
NthrnNYker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADTech View Post
You're going to need a whole lot more "beef" than that, all three items.
Ah, I was wrong -- I have 1 1/2" galvanized plumbing pipe -- the really, really thick-walled stuff -- scavenged it off my dad's house when he converted to copper water lines ---- not 1 1/4" as I initially said.

Now, I just ran a thick 3" wide angle-iron strap across the top 3' of my eaves where it comes to a peak and I will also u-clamp the support mast to that angle iron as well (and strap the support mast to the very peak as well). With these four points on the support mast fixed securely to the house....I'm thinking cutting 2' off the 10' pipe (the 2' section to be used to mount the boom of the antenna to the rotor) and then mounting the lower 12" standoff wall mount at a point along the wall so that 2 feet of the 8' portion of the support mast protrudes over the peak of the roof -- about 5 feet down along the gable end of the house..... then mount the other standoff mid-point from the lower standoff and the angle iron strap at the peak.

I don't really see what else I can do to secure and support that mast, other than run that mast the entire 25' length to the ground and set it in a concrete slab..... and at that point, might as well walk away from this endeavor as something fit only for an structural engineer...I'll pay that $12 a month to cable for that much trouble.

Now, as for the antenna thrust bearing for the antenna rotor -- for the life of me, I cannot locate one of these anywhere -- not on the internet, not locally. I'm thinking that I might devise one of my own using a couple readily available 1 1/2" pillow block using my welding skills to make it work -- not a perfect solution, but better than nothing -- unless one of you guys have any ideas ? Or will this impediment preclude the use of the rotor at all ?

Karl

Last edited by NthrnNYker; 22-Oct-2015 at 6:47 PM.
NthrnNYker is offline   Reply With Quote