View Single Post
Old 21-Feb-2017, 2:23 AM   #11
WIRELESS ENGINEER

since its in the middle of winter in Lancaster pa, I doubt tree growth is an issue right now

more likely you have a connection issue

either the antenna balun isn't making as good a connection as before due to oxidation or a bad coax connection

if the outdoor connections were not made air tight, you may have moisture penetration that caused contamination or corrosion

UHF frequencies are very susceptible to even slightest amount of condensation or oxidation in a connector

do not use copper plated steel center conductor coax
I've witnessed rust develop that can contaminate the dielectric of the coax and the antenna balun

buy only SOLID bare copper center conductor RG6

I have a 16,000 dollar spectrum analyzer I use on the bench and a 6,000 dollar Anrisu site master I use in the field for finding interference sources and I can tell you that
these days the amount of interference sources that affect TV reception goes far beyond just FM broadcast

All areas now have LTE cell towers that use the lower end of The 700 MHz band

Most new 911 radio networks have now moved to the 700 MHz band so their repeater towers are now causing interference all over the nation

amplifiers like the cm3410 only make it worse since they just amplify the interference along with the TV signal

Tv manufacturers put very little money into their tuners so they can easily be desensed by police, fire, business,paging systems,ham radio, wireless thermometers, etc etc etc

in the old days you could easily tell what the source of interference was by looking at the picture

but now it takes a professional who knows how to use a spectrum analyzer
WIRELESS ENGINEER is offline   Reply With Quote