View Single Post
Old 20-Jul-2011, 7:10 PM   #55
dcp12345678

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundUrMast View Post
If you are willing to wait for the folks at WGPX to act on their construction permit you may be able to save the expense of a second antenna. You may want to contact the station to get an idea of the ETA on that upgrade.
I actually found the local station number this time and believer it or not I actually talked to a human! She said she is going to have her engineer call me back and let me know the status, but she didn't know of any plans to update their tower. So I would assume it's probably not something that's going to happen soon, if at all. But I guess the more people that whine about it, the better.

Quote:
The second option would be a two antenna system. The 4-bay design previously described plus the AD XG-91 aimed at WGPX. Combining the signal from both antennas may be possible with a custom built product from TinLee.com but I think an A/B switch would be more practical if you are on a limited budget.
Can you tell me a little about these signal combiners? Are there any you recommend? I really want to keep things simple with the TV, without having to deal with rotators, A/B switches, etc. In other words, I would probably just live without WGPX if it meant having to use an A/B switch or rotator.

Quote:
In either case, the antennas need to be outside. You will also need an FM trap inline between the XG-91 and a high input preamp such as the Antennas Direct CPA-19 or Winegard HDP269. Finally, successful reception of WGPX at it's current power and antenna height may require a high mast or tower, due to the low signal strength and 2 edge path profile.
I live in a 2 story house. What kind of height are you thinking here? I think the FCC law only allows me to go 12 feet above the roofline (http://transition.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html). Is that your understanding?

If I decide to just give up on WGPX but do want to go with a higher powered antenna to get some of the farther away stations, like in Charlotte for example, would going with the XG-91 as a single antenna solution be the way to go, or would it be better to go with a 4 bay solution like the Wineguard or Clearstream4?

Also, on a slightly unrelated topic, do these antenna(e) need to be grounded? What's the best way to do that? Could I ground it somewhere in the attic (e.g it would be mounted on the the roof, and the cable would come into the attic where from there I would drop it down to my living room.

Last edited by dcp12345678; 20-Jul-2011 at 8:50 PM.
dcp12345678 is offline   Reply With Quote