View Single Post
Old 4-Sep-2017, 1:44 AM   #8
shovel99

Question Continuing here....

I have used the gold plated twist on connectors on RG59 and then standard dimention RG6 for years with great results. Now the "monster" cable industry needs to sell us big fat cables, there is no longer a good way to attach connectors. Great to sell lots of pre made cables, I guess. The twist ons don't fit the oversized wires. I bought a Belden compression tool and a $56 box of Ideal compression connectors, get it home and find out that the hardest part of the process... pushing the damn connector onto the wire... is not performed by the tool, but rather some inhuman level brute force. What do any of you do to put these damn things on? It appears no one stocks them.

I was also stunned to learn that all the cable is now copper plated steel crap. I wondered why my stripper cutter said "not for steel". Why the hell would they make copper coated wire instead of real copper while for God's sake? CHEAP!.
Big box doesn't sell copper, and you cannot even find what the center lead is made of until you are reading the fine print at the store. It appears very few websites sell pure copper... it surely won't have the discontinuity problem caused by bending steel which is breaking the copper plating. Is it worth buying 500 feet when I need 25? How much signal and picture improvement can I expect if I replace all the coax in my system with real copper wire, assuming I can find a solution to putting on the connectors.

One last question: I am considering getting a second antenna, a yagi to point at 340 degrees and merging the signals with that antenna and the CM4228, ahead of the Winegard preamp. Will that work? Do I need another amp, and how would I configure this?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions,
shovel99
shovel99 is offline   Reply With Quote