View Single Post
Old 1-Nov-2019, 10:21 PM   #13
rabbit73
Retired A/V Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshb View Post
Thanks!. I plan to buy HD7694P and use it along with ClearStream 4V. Some more questions.

1. What is the best way to combine signals from these two antennas?

2. Which is better suited for my use case?. ClearStream 2V or 4V?
1. The easiest way is to use a splitter in reverse as a combiner, but that usually doesn't work very well. When the same signals from each antenna reach the combining point, they will interfere with each other if they are not in phase (arrive at the same instant).

If you don't have all the channels when the two antennas are combined that you had when the antennas were separate, that method of combining doesn't work for your location.

Sometimes it is necessary to have separate antennas and use an A/B switch to select which antenna you want to use, as suggested by jrgagne99. If your TV isn't able to add a channel after scan, it will be necessary to rescan every time you switch antennas.

To avoid a rescan, you can connect the main antenna to the TV antenna input and connect the second antenna to a separate tuner like the Channel Master 7004 converter box. Then, connect the output of the tuner to an HDMI input of the TV. To switch to the other antenna, just switch the TV input.

If you have more than one TV, it gets complicated. You would need a custom combiner for the channels involved as mentioned above by Tim, which would combine the signals from both antennas in one coax.

I know you want a definite answer, but I am not able to give that to you. It is my hope that you will be able to get everything you want with one antenna aimed west, but you will probably need a channel from the south.

The solution to your reception problem will depend upon how many TVs you have and the results of your antenna aiming tests. I can't do that for you.

2. The ClearStream 2V has a little less gain than the 4V on UHF. It has a wider beamwidth than the 4V, but probably not quite enough beamwidth for the 100 degree difference between the two directions if aimed in between; you can try it if you like. Both antennas have the same dipole for VHF.

Last edited by rabbit73; 2-Nov-2019 at 2:36 AM.
rabbit73 is offline   Reply With Quote