View Single Post
Old 29-Dec-2010, 7:04 PM   #1
nukeman

Question Help with north eastern Kansas install (Topeka)

Hi,

I want to receive HDTV broadcasts from the major networks. The closest transmitters appear to be around 60 miles from me in Topeka, KS. Is getting signal at that distance even possible?

The stations I'm interested in are KTWU (PBS), WIBW (CBS), KSNT (NBC), and KTKA (ABC). It looks like FOX in Topeka is KTMJ-CA and is owned by KSNT. KSNT broadcasts FOX content on their 27.2 channel (link).

I have a one story house with a relatively clear line of site. I would rather install an antenna in the attic, but from my brief research, it appears that would degrade reception quite a bit. There are so many options for equipment! What factors do I use to choose the best antenna?

I am new to OTA reception, but have been working with computer networks and home theater installations for years. I think I have the tools and ability to do the installation, but I'm having trouble getting started.

I ran the TV Signal Analyis here (http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...da32257c9f166a) but I'm not sure that to do next.

So now that I've ran the report, how do I actually choose an antenna? How do I know if I need additional equipment like an amplifier or rotor?

Thanks in advance for all the help.
nukeman is offline   Reply With Quote